Friday, August 25, 2017

Potato Planting

Spring has sprung! Yesterday afternoon we went out to the garden with Mr B and he showed us how to plant potatoes so the Year 8's can eat them at their Year 8 leavers dinner. We found it really interesting learning about how potatoes go to seed and how the grow off each other. We decided that they might need a helping hand so we sprinkled potato fertiliser on them too (but don't tell Kevin!) We are going to keep an eye on them and our next project is planting corn into pots and letting it grow in the greenhouses until we can plant them in our very own corn patch. 
We have also decided that a part of the garden needs a really good tidy so we are going to do that too! Watch this space!






4 comments:

  1. Greetings Totara 2!!

    Well done on using alliteration at the start of your blog. It really grabbed our attention. Potatoes are our favourite food, I hope they grow well.

    Sometimes when potatoes are left in the cupboard or draw too long they begin to sprout, heaps of us have experienced this.

    I wonder why potatoes grow in the cupboard when they are left there for too long?

    From the Children in Pohutukawa 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia Ora Potato Planters
    My name is Jack from karoro school.

    I like how you are planting potatoes for the year eights to eat. I think that is a really cool idea. I also think that putting potato fertiliser will make them grow better.

    Another thing you can do is plant them in rows if you haven’t. If you plant them in rows they you will know where you planted them because they will all be in a line. You could also put tarpaulin over the potatoes so birds or other animals don't walk all over the dirt.

    You could also come check my blog out at (http://karorojacksh.blogspot.co.nz/) our my class blog at (http://ksrumatahi.blogspot.co.nz/)

    From Jack At Karoro School

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Totara 2

    My name is Kieran I am a student at Karoro school Wow! That looks like so much fun. I love to eat potatoes I wouldn't mind trying one of your planted ones.

    I don't like gardening myself but when I saw that this post was about potatoes I knew I just had to comment on it. I Would love to see a post on your blog of a fully grown potato when one has grown. I hope they turn out good and taste nice and tasty. We had a political party named the potato peelers.

    So all I have to say is nice work doing gardening. If you want you can check out my blog and comment on it and give me a positive comment and give sime feedback on what I can work on. https://karorokierand.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my name is Jericho from Panmure Bridge School.

    At the start of the sentence you used alliteration. Also I wonder how your plants will grow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.